About

BC Assessment is an independent Crown corporation that was created in 1974 in response to inequities in the property taxation system around BC.  Prior to that there were 140 separate assessment organizations in the province, each with varying mandates and methodologies.  The NDP government under Dave Barrett responded to the growing alarm over gross valuation inequities by striking the all party Special Legislative Committee that created BC Assessment.  To this very day, Mr. Barrett is proud of its creation.  Rightfully so. 

We produce independent valuation and classification assessments for all property types on an annual basis with Assessment Notices being sent to property owners at the beginning of January.  These assessments are produced through the teamwork of appraisal assistants, property inventory collectors, appraisers, supervisors and managers located in 19 field offices spread around the province, as well with the mapping, auditing, communications, legal, finance, appraisal, research, administrative and programming support of Head Office staff based in Victoria. 

With a mandate to establish and maintain uniform real property assessments throughout BC, approximately 95% of properties are valued at market value as of July 1 each year.  The remaining 5% are valued based on legislated rates. 

Our Union, CUPE Local 1767, was also created in 1974, bringing together assessment professionals under one provincial local, the only other being BC Ambulance and Paramedics. 

The mandate of BC Assessment for uniform and equitable assessments is mirrored in the Constitution of our Local, which goals include (among other things):

  • To improve the standards of assessment practice for the employees within BC Assessment;
  • To co-operate with the Assessment Authority to promote assessment legislation to meet changing conditions within the Province. 

With an annual focus on equity and fair values for taxpayers, it comes as no surprise that members of Local 1767 are also passionate about issues of equity, fair pay and working conditions for their co-workers.  To that end, each workgroup is represented by an Area Representative and Alternate Representative, and the seven regions of the province have Regional Directors who serve on the Executive Board of the Union with their President, Vice-President and Secretary-Treasurer.  An Annual General Meeting is held at the end of September (in Richmond) to give voice to delegates from around the province. 

The Union office is currently located in Maple Ridge and run part-time by an employee of the Union — a retired BC Assessment appraisal assistant and true friend of the Union with a wealth of knowledge about the history of our local and company: Adele Zakus.  Adele worked closely with our now retired Business Agent Mick Currie in keeping the books of the local and now reports to the Secretary Treasurer.